Monday, March 13, 2017

Sensible Soccer

I was watching one of the excellent Kim Justice videos the other day, this one being about Sensible Soccer.  (If you like watching videos about games, especially of the retro variety, then I thoroughly recommend his channel).  It got me thinking, how come no-one has remade Sensi for the modern day?  After all, there are thousands of "retro remakes", and this game was incredibly popular back in the day.



Needless to say, someone has.  (In this day and age, it's impossible to find something that someone hasn't already done, especially with regard to games).  It's virtually identical to the original, but with all new updated teams, online play, plus presumably loads of other modern improvements.  However, the main aspect of the game - kicking the ball around - remains as great as ever.  Which makes me curious why this game isn't more well known?  I guess that in this day and age, there is so much going on it's very hard for anything to get noticed.

The only "issue" I could find was a problem I had actually starting a game: the menu options are selected with Enter - apart from the one that selects "Start Game"!  I spent a while pressing every button on the keyboard, and also going through every other menu option, since I assumed I must have selected something that prevented the game from starting.  There was very little documentation (that I could find).  In the end I had to join the Chat channel and ask.  It turns out that Ctrl (which is the default "fire button" in the game) is used for this single menu option.  It would be a shame if this obstacle put off any other potential new players to this great game.

No comments: